Please have a look at the introduction to our Coaching sessions for parents who have a child with autism spectrum disorder.
About this course:
This is a web-based course aimed at providing parents with skills for improving their child's reciprocal communication and social functioning.
The course is based on an evidence-based behavioral treatment approach for ASD, Pivotal Response Treatment (PRT).
PRT is a naturalistic form of applied behavior analysis (ABA) that fosters social communication skill development by capitalizing on a child's natural motivations.
There are 8 sessions to this course and each session addresses a different goal. At the end of this course, you will be able to accomplish the following goals:
1. Advance your parenting skills by using the "ABC framework" to understand your child's behavior.
2. Set up natural and enjoyable opportunities for your child to learn social communication skills throughout the day.
3. Make the most out of all those learning opportunities by using brief and clear instructions to your child .
4. Balance old skills with attempts at learning new skills.
5. Reward your child's attempts at learning, even if they don't get it right the first time.
6. Make sure you use rewards that are immediate and powerful.
7. Make sure you use rewards that are natural and logical.
8. Structure your home environment to promote communication and build PRT into Daily Life.